During the course of my research, I have made use of many
archives and specialist libraries. In particular I would like to thank:
In the early years of this research I made extensive use of the
Science Museum Library, South Kensington, London; the Science
Reference Library at Holborn, London (whose materials are now
sadly stashed in the off-site stacks of the British Library);
and the Cambridge University Library.
- Donna Colletti, Daina Bouquin and all the staff at the library of the Harvard-Smithsonian
Center for Astrophysics, Cambridge, Mass.
- Eileen Dorschner, former librarian at the Aeronautics/Astronautics Library, MIT, Cambridge, Mass.
- Brian Nicklas and other staff
at the library and archives of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, Washington;
- Mark Kahn and the other staff of the Garber Facility Archives of the
- Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, Suitland, Maryland;
- The staff of Archives II, the National Archives, College Park, Maryland;
- Tomoko Steen at the Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.;
- Roger Launius at the History Office, NASA Headquarters, Washington, D.C.;
- The staff of the Declassified Documents Reading Room, National Reconnaissance
- The library at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland;
- Elaine Liston at the Archives, NASA Kennedy Space Center, Florida;
- Mark Cleary at the History Office, Patrick Air Force Base, Florida;
- The Redstone Arsenal Scientific Information Center, Huntsville, Alabama;
- The History Office, Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville, Alabama;
- The Library, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Alabama;
- The National Archives Southern Area, Atlanta, Georgia;
- The Jet Propulsion Laboratory Archives, Pasadena, California;
- The Lewis (now Glenn) Research Center archives, Cleveland, Ohio;
- The library at Kitt Peak National Observatory, Tucson, Arizona;
- Jeff Geiger at the History Office, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Lompoc, California;
- Harry Waldron at the History Office, Los Angeles Air Force Base, El Segundo, California;
- Pat McGinnis at the archives of Boeing, Los Angeles, California;
- The library at the British Interplanetary Society, Vauxhall, London;
- David Dewhirst and Jean Sanderson, formerly at the library of the Institute of Astronomy, Cambridge.
- Doug Millard and the staff of the Science Museum archives, Wroughton, England.
- The Biblioteque Nationale, Paris;
- The Centre Spatiale de Toulouse;
- L. Valentin at the library, ESTEC, Noordwijk, the Netherlands;
- Herr Schinhan at the Deutsches Museum Archiv, Munich;
- Heiner Klinkrad at ESOC, Darmstadt, Germany;
- The staff of ISRO at Bangalore and Trivandrum.
- The staff and correspondents of Novosti Kosmonavtiki magazine, Moscow;
- The Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics